Let’s be honest – I’m not the most current person in terms of social awareness. I really respect knowledge and opinions of others, though, and so to engage in discussion – or debate – I make sure to at least check headlines every day.
The best approach is a wide variety of sources, but I generally stick to what I like:
- The BBC app on my phone to refresh before I get on the subway and catch up while I wait for my stop.
- The New Yorker for well-written articles from a personal perspective. For instance, I just read Gay, Jewish, Mentally Ill, and a Sponsor of Gypsies in Romania.
- The Atlantic for more excellent writing.
- The CBC for local news and the Canadian perspective.
- Google News alerts for topics that interest me. You don’t want to miss something like this if you live in Toronto.